This article concerns:
- Apple® App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/harvard-business-publishing/id658353331
- Google PlayTM: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.harvard.hbsp.coursepack
Harvard Business Publishing for Students App
Students can use the Harvard Business Publishing for Students app to access materials from an HBP coursepack. The app optimizes readability of certain coursepack materials.
- Access to course materials on the HBP app costs $2 per coursepack and must be acquired during the coursepack purchase process as opposed to an in-app purchase
- Students can purchase the app at the same time as they purchase their coursepack materials, or purchase just app access after previously purchasing their coursepack materials
- Coursepack access may be purchased by the student, or an academic institution, depending on how the instructor sets up the coursepack.
- Students who have purchased a coursepack will receive a link via email to download the app from the Apple® App Store or Google PlayTM. For a coursepack paid for by an institution, or by a student, the link to the app is provided on the coursepack page.
The Harvard Business Publishing for Students app gives students convenient access to materials within HBP coursepacks on their mobile devices. Once you have purchased your coursepack on the HBP Higher Education website, use the app to easily download, save, and read course materials. With the app you can:
- Access all materials within the coursepack
- Download and save course material files to your device for offline access to cases, articles, chapters, and readings
- Run eLearning programs on your device
- Save username and password information for seamless login
Why use the HBP for Students app?
- Portability and convenience
- Optimized text will adapt to the size of your mobile device, improving readability.
- Easy navigation. Jump back and forth from reading passages to exhibits and tables.
- Open files in iBooks to add highlights and annotations to your reading materials.
The HBP app is free. The ability to access HBP coursepack content on your device, however, must be purchased, by the student, or the institution, for $2 per coursepack.
Login Credentials for the App
The app utilizes the same login credentials a student uses to access the Educators website http://hbsp.harvard.edu/. If a student resets their password for the website, their app password is also changed, and vice versa.
Content Optimized for the App
- Most cases, articles, chapters, and core curriculum readings are optimized
- EPUBS are optimized for the app and any coursepack containing an EPUB will offer app access
- Core curriculum readings are optimized for the app and any coursepack containing an core reading will offer app access
- The Startup Game is the only eProduct optimized for the app and any coursepack containing an core reading will offer app access
- Keep in mind: Coursepacks containing NO EPUBS, NO Core Readings and NOT containing The Startup Game will NOT offer app access
- Most eLearning materials (Simulations, Online Courses) are NOT yet optimized
- All V2 simulations are de-flashed and can be played on tablets, but only The Startup Game is specifically optimized for mobile, and coursepacks containing it will offer app access
- Coursepacks containing only eProducts other than The Startup Game will NOT offer app access
When the App is Available
The app is only available for coursepacks with products optimized for mobile. Coursepacks must meet one of the following criteria for the app purchase to be available:
- Has at least one PDF item with EPUB equivalent
- Has at least one core curriculum reading
- Has the Wharton Startup Game (WH0001-HTM-ENG)
Only some have EPUB
Industry and Background Note
Only some have EPUB
Only some have EPUB
Only some have EPUB
Startup Game = Yes
All other sims = No
Be aware within any given Product Type, it is NOT the case that ALL the items have EPUBs. Also, note that there is not a way to tell from the IDP (item detail page) if an item has an EPUB; you must add it to a CP and see if the app is available to determine if an EPUB exists.
Product Types that DO have an EPB Availability:
- Case Compilation
- Case Flash Forward
- Case Teaching Note
- Core Curriculum Reading
- Course Overview
- HBR Article
- HBR Case
- HBR Case and Commentary
- HBR Case Commentary Only
- HBR Forethought Article
- HBR Onpoint Article Collection
- HBS Brief Case
- HBS Brief Case Teaching Note
- Industry and Background Note
- Module Note
- Non–HBP Book Chapter
- Press Book
- Press Chapter
- Reprint not HBS Owned
Product Types that DO NOT have an EPB Availability:
- Analytical Tool CD
- AQPC Research Reports
- Balanced Scorecard Collection
- Balanced Scorecard Hall of Fame
- Balanced Scorecard Hall of Fame Profile
- Balanced Scorecard Newsletter
- Balanced Scorecard Reprint
- Balanced Scorecard Toolkits
- Business Fundamentals
- Case Seminar
- Case Simulation
- CL Assets - Audio Video
- CL Assets - Partner Libraries
- CL Assets - Product Tools
- CL Collection - Center
- CL Collection - Faculty Seminar Series
- CL Course - Case In Point
- CL Course – Long
- CL Course – Short
- CL Course – Simulation
- CL Harvard ManageMentor
- CL Marketing Materials
- CL Non Operating
- CL Other
- CL Program - Leadership Direct
- CL Reference - Harvard ManageMentor
- CL Service - Learning and Implementation
- CL Service - Technology
- Conference Materials
- Core Curriculum Review Questions
- Course Overview, Instructor
- Gartner Research
- HBD Product Development
- HBR Article Collection
- HBR Custom Article
- HBR Enterprise Subscription
- HBR Issues
- HBR Newstand Special Edition
- HBR Onpoint Article
- HBR Subscription
- HBR Web Article
- HBRG Online Course
- HBRG Online Course Section
- HBRG SIM
- HBSP Marketing Materials
- Higher Education Other
- HMM Strategic Services
- HMU Newsletter
- HMU Newsletter Collection
- HMU Newsletter Reprint
- Interactive Tutorial
- Management Update Subscription
- Marketing Materials
- Module Note for Instructor
- Multimedia Cases
- Multimedia Teaching Note
- Newsletter - Other
- Newsletter Collection - Other
- Newsletter Reprint - Other
- Online Course
- Online Course Section
- Online Exercise
- Press Excerpt
- Press Executive Summary
- Press Special Report
- Press Tool
- Press Toolkit
- Research Report
- Role Play
- Simulation (exception: Start Up Game)
- Software Note
- Special HBS Titles
- Spreadsheet Supplement
- Teaching Guides
- Teaching Plan
- Vendor Fulfilled Materials
- Video Shorts
- Video Supplement
- Video Transcript
Android Devices and Versions Supported
All handsets and tablets running Android 4.1 - 4.4 and 5.0 - 5.1.
iOS Devices and Versions Supported
All iPhones and iPads running iOS 7 & 8.
Can I save material to iBooks, Nook or another app on my phone?
Click the download link next to an item.
When it finishes downloading, it will open in the app. Click the upload icon in the upper right.
Select iBooks, Nook or your preferred app to save the material permanently, for reference later.
Trouble Downloading or Opening in iBooks
If you're having trouble downloading coursepack content in the iPad app, or opening the content in iBooks, launch the app and click the gear in the upper left side.
Turn off 'Display in mobile friendly ePub format when available'
Read Core Curriculum While Offline
You can read core curriculum readings while offline. To do so, while still connected to the Internet, open the reading and click the gear icon in the upper right.
Next slide the 'Make Available Offline' bar to green.
Finally, bookmark the page as a favorite to return to it when offline for reading.