This article concerns: https://hbr.org/product/hbr-guide-to-building-your-business-case-ebook-tools/10020E-KND-ENG
HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case Ebook + Tools
HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case Ebook + Tools is an enhanced Ebook version of the HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case that includes downloadable tools and templates to help you get started on your own case right away. You've got a great idea that will increase profitability or productivity, but how do you get approval for the budget and resources to make it happen? By building a business case that clearly shows your idea's value.The downloadable tools and templates provide examples of two well-wrought business cases and their ROI worksheets. Each example provides detailed annotations which explain what each case needs to be successful. The examples are presented in both PowerPoint and Word so you can choose which format works best for you. The ROI worksheets will help you see how ROI was determined for each example. You'll also get a set of customizable business case templates and ROI worksheets. You'll want to use them every time you need to make a strong business case.
The HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case Ebook + Tools will help you:
- Spell out the business need and align it with strategic goals
- Gather feedback to shape and test your idea
- Calculate ROI
- Analyze risks and opportunities
- Gain support from colleagues
- Present your case to stakeholders
- Secure the resources your project needs
- Guide to Building Your Business Case Ebook
- Read Me First guide
- ABC MedTech Case
- ABC MedTech ROI
- XYZ Energy Case
- XYZ Energy ROI
- PowerPoint Business Case Template
- Word Business Case Template
- ROI Worksheet Template
Once you've purchased a copy, to download the Ebook and Tools you will need an Internet connection. Subsequent access to your local copies will not require an Internet connection. To download your Ebook and Tools, go to HBR.org and sign in. Click on the person icon in the upper right and select 'Purchases'
Click the 'Download Files' link for the order.
Click the EPUB, MBI or PDF links to download the Building Your Business Case Ebook. If you're not sure which of the three Ebook formats is best for your device, review our Ebook instructions.
Click the 'Download ZIP' link to download the Zip file containing the two case studies, customizable business case templates and ROI worksheets.
When the Zip file completes downloading, open the Zip folder and select 'HBR Tools for Building Your Business' if you're a PC user and '_MACOSX' if you are a MAC user.
Open the '1_Read Me First' document and review its contents thoroughly.
Welcome to the HBR Guide + Tools for Building Your Business Case
Your organization may have its own business case approval process and templates. But if it doesn’t or if you’re looking for some additional guidance, these materials will help.
This zip folder contains three folders with seven documents to help you build your own business case. All of these documents are annotated with directions as well as references to the HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case.
There are two example business cases, each with its own separate ROI worksheet.
- ABC MedTech Case (Word):
- ABC MedTech Case: An example of a business case rendered in Word.
- ABC MedTech ROI: An Excel document showing how the ROI was determined for this project.
- XYZ Energy (PowerPoint):
- XYZ Energy Case: An example of a business case rendered in PowerPoint.
- XYZ Energy ROI: An Excel document showing how the ROI was determined for this project.
There are also three customizable templates for building your own case:
- PowerPoint Business Case Template: Each slide includes specific directions as well as references to the HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case.
- Word Business Case Template: This template also includes directions as well as references to the HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case.
- ROI Worksheet Template: This is an Excel document for determining the ROI for your business case.
How to get started:
Start by reviewing the sample business cases, their accompanying notes, and their ROI worksheets. These documents will give you a sense of what a completed business case looks like. Then use either the PowerPoint or the Word templates to create your own case. You may want to add your organization’s branding, insert new slides or pages, and/or adjust the format. Use the ROI worksheet template to capture the costs and benefits of your project, and determine its ROI. Refer to the HBR Guide to Building Your Business Case for more information on how to develop your case from start to finish.
After reviewing the Read Me First guide, drill down into the ABC MedTech folder to download the ABC MedTech Case and ABC MedTech ROI.
Now open the XYZ Energy Case folder to download the XYZ Energy Case and XYZ Energy ROI.
Finally, open the Case & ROI Templates folder to download the PowerPoint Business Case Template, the ROI Business Case Template and the Word Business Case Template.
You now have access to all the items included within the Ebook + Tools offering.